Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The UNC K-E Kids Rally: One Person Responds

We had a reader write-in with a few thoughts about the visit by Vanessa Kerry, Cate Edwards and Alexander Heinz visit to UNC. His words, unedited...

I'm sorry to those of y’all who worked on the Kerry/Edwards daughter event yesterday, but I thought it was horrible.

I don't understand why after 4 days of planning there were no Kerry/Edwards signs but there. Bush supporters covered most of the camera angles with individual signs and a barnyard sign.

Most of the press coverage on the news was from other events the girls did during the day. Even the interviews I saw being shot were with Bush supporters. The excuses I heard for the poor rally were a lack of funding for Young Democrats.

Am I wrong in thinking that the campaign would have been happy to lend several hundred signs to add to visibility? Because there was no visibility. That, in addition to the difficulty people had hearing the speakers made for a lackluster rally, in which the only memorable part was where the College Repubs could be heard cheering when asked who would have a good job when they graduated.

3 Comments:

At September 1, 2004 at 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, fair enough. It wasn't a great rally, I'll admit. We didn't have any signs, and that was an egregious error. I'll take some of the blame for that. If I get a chance to make up for it, I will.

To be fair though, the turnout was pretty good (600+ all told), and the sound problems aren't problems on our end.

But again, I will take responsibility for my part in dropping the ball.

pj

 
At September 2, 2004 at 12:32 AM, Blogger M. Compton said...

Were there really 600 folks? Cause I've heard estimates as low as 200 and the DTH ran their article with an estimate of 300. If 600 there were, then that's awesome. If it was as low as 200, then I'm disappointed.

 
At September 2, 2004 at 5:52 PM, Blogger M. Compton said...

Except, at some point in the fall, JFK is doing a campus tour, and I want us to be on that schedule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home